1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot and brown meat on both sides.
2. Take meat out and place inside the slow cooker. Cover the meat with potatoes, onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms.
3. In the Dutch oven or large pot, stir in the broth, spices and onion soup mix. Mix well and heat to boiling.
4. Pour the broth, spices and onion soup mix on top of the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker.
5. Cover with additional beef broth, red wine and/or water as necessary. The meat should be completely covered with liquid.
6. Cook for 10-12 hours in a slow cooker on LOW setting. Cooking on HIGH setting, while not recommended, will prepare this food faster but the meat won't be as tender and the overall taste won't be as good. It's better to set aside the extra time to cook it on low, you won't be disappointed!
7. Remove meat and slice, place on a platter with vegetables around the meat. Strain the liquid and serve with the meat.
8. Pig out!
The original recipe is from the back of a Christopher Ranch package of boiler onions. This recipe has been revised by Brent N. Hunter.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (789g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 528 (53%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 58.6g||78 %|
|Saturated Fat 22.4g||112 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 25.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.4g|
|Cholesterol 199.6mg||61 %|
|Sodium 1221.3mg||42 %|
|Potassium 2231.2mg||59 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 52.2g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 10.4g||41 %|
|Sugars, other 41.8g|
|Protein 65.6g||94 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1002
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.