Refine my search
made from ground hominy, are gaining interest beyond southern U.S.
states. They are a breakfast staple as well as a side or main course
To produce grits, corn is
first soaked in a limewater solution, which makes the kernels expand
and then dry out. The swollen hominy hulls and germ are removed before
grinding. Grits are made from the coarsest grind; cornmeal is the medium grind, and masa harina (cornflour) is made from the finest grind.
Native Americans welcomed the first
Today, grits remain popular as a comfort food (even in parts of Africa and
Grits are packaged in three ways:
• Regular - made of larger pellets that require lengthy cooking.
• Quick – these are broken-up pellets of a slightly finer grind for faster preparation.
• Instant – precooked grits that are dried; boiling water is added to rehydrate quickly.
Packaged, flavored grits are also available.
Grits have a long shelf life of about two years.
• Grits can go with any meal or become a main course. As a simple dish, add cheese and garlic.
• Make “custom” sides for each family member – just include desired ingredients.
• Fry them or bake them with spices for a tasty snack.
• Polenta or cornmeal
Hi there! Please sign in first.
Not yet a BigOven member? Join us, save time and money!×
Ready? Let's get cooking.
Take your recipes anywhere.™
Grab a badge and link to us!