Recipes » best Half and half recipes
keywords: half half
See just those with "Half and half" in their title
Refine my search
Half and half
Half and half is just that – equal amounts of cream and milk. It is the lowest in fat of all cream products.
Half-and-half is an equal blend of cream and milk that will range between 10.5% and 18% in fat content. It is commonly treated like light cream and included in coffee and cereal, or over fruits. If handled carefully, it can be used in recipes that require heating.
Outside of the
• In the
• In some regions, organic and fat-free half-and-half products are sold.
• Sour half-and-half is also available. (In fact, low-fat and light sour cream products are made from half-and-half.)
• Always keep refrigerated. Ultrapasteurized products will last several weeks.
• Half-and-half can be whipped following this method: Add one teaspoon gelatin to one tablespoon cold water in the top half of a double boiler. Add water to bottom half (by itself) and let simmer. Wait five minutes and begin heating the dissolved mixture. Stir to reach a clear liquid. Combine with one egg white and beat into one cup half-and-half. Beat to reach desired stiff peaks.
• If a binder or thickening agent is included, half-and-half may be adequate in recipes that require heavier creams.
• Use only the freshest half-and-half when adding to hot coffee. The acid in the caffeine can curdle product that has had a long refrigerator life.
• It’s a wonderful additive to recipes that call for whole milk for deeper, richer flavor. As an alternative, blend with skim milk instead.
Hi there! Please sign in first.
Not yet a BigOven member? Join us, save time and money!×
Ready? Let's get cooking.
Take your recipes anywhere.™
Grab a badge and link to us!