Recipes » recipes tagged apricot
Refine my search
Apricots are a staple in Mediterranean cooking and are a favorite for sweet-and-sour sauces to accompany meats.
Apricots belong to the rose family and are among a group called “stone” fruits that also include plums, peaches, and cherries. They are equal in size to plums and are packed with beta-carotene, Vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Dried apricots are a popular snack and convenient for inclusion in numerous recipes.
The term “nectar of the gods” refers to the apricot and its ties to Greek mythology. The first recorded fruit was harvested in
• The many apricot varieties have differing characteristics. Most recognized names include Tilton,
• Canned apricots are sweeter than fresh fruits because they are allowed to fully ripen before picking and processing.
• Dried fruits are available year-round, but may have preservatives. Naturally dried products are available at health food markets.
• Apricots are made into a great number of other products: jams and jellies, chutneys, oil, brandy, and juice.
• Most apricots shipped outside of
• Inspect fruits for white spots on the surface, which is an indication of mold.
• Semi-dried fruits (usually in foil packages) do not require rehydration. Add directly to recipes or eat them as a snack.
• Most dried apricots are imported into the
• Allow to ripen by placing in
Hi there! Please sign in first.
Not yet a BigOven member? Join us, save time and money!×
Ready? Let's get cooking.
Take your recipes anywhere.™
Grab a badge and link to us!