When sweet cream is “soured” by the addition of lactic acid bacteria, it becomes that tangy smooth taste we love for dips, toppings, and desserts. All sour cream products are homogenized and pasteurized.
Discard entire container at first sign of mold or change in color.
- Unopened sour cream can be used within two weeks past the “sell by” date.
- A cottage cheese texture means that the container has been inadvertently frozen and thawed. Do not use.
- A plain dollop of sour cream goes with many dishes including tacos, enchiladas, and baked potatoes.
- Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to commercially flavored sour cream for an extra kick. Use soy sauce for an Asian flair.
- Fold in a little cream cheese for a richer and thicker topping.
Yogurt, if drained, will be adequate in some recipes.
Try one of our favorite sour cream recipes:
Cheesecake, cucumbers, picante sauce, soufflés, stroganoff, vegetables, wheat toast