The tended ball-shaped pancakes the Danish call "Aebleskiver" derive their roundness from the iron in which they're cooked.
To make perfectly round aebleskiver, you must frequently lift and turn the baked section of each ball. They will eventually seal themselves, creating a hollow in each center.
Serve with your favourite jam or preserves.
Preheat Aebleskiver iron.
1. In a medium-sized bowl, sift flour with salt, baking powder, granulated sugar and cardamon.
2. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until blended and smooth.
3. Place the Aebleskiver pan over medium heat until water sprinkled in pan sizzles. Brush each cup lightly with some of the melted butter. Fill each cup about 2/3 full with batter.
4. After about 30 seconds, a thin shell forms on the bottom of each pancake ball. Stick a slender wooden or metal skewer into the baked portion and gently pull the shell almost halfway up, so unbaked batter flows out.
5. Continue to rotate each pancake ball about every 30 seconds as the shell begins to set, pulling up the baked shell to let the remaining batter flow out into the cup. After about four turns, the ball should almost be formed, and you can turn it upside down to seal. Continue baking, rotating the balls frequently until they are an even golden brown and a skewer inserted in he center comes out clean. With skewer, lift balls from the pan when baked. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve immediately, or keep warm for as long as 30 minutes. When ready to serve, dust with powedered sugar. BREAK EACH BALL IN HALF, FILL WITH JAM AND EAT OUT OF HAND.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (62g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 44 (25%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.9g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 27.3mg||8 %|
|Sodium 227.8mg||8 %|
|Potassium 51.8mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 31.1g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 30.7g|
|Protein 2.4g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 176
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!