Influenced by American TV, Christmas in Japan is celebrated not as a religious occasion but just for the fun of it. It has become tradition to eat Western foods. KFC seems to be the favourite because Colonel Saunders is thought to look like St Nick! And for dessert - what else but these?!?
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes
Oven Temp: 220C
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using your fingertips, lightly rub in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the cream with a fork then knead lightly using your finger tips until just combined, to form a soft dough. (Work quickly to ensure a tender texture.)
2. Turn the dough onto a floured board. Pat out quickly. Stamp out 6 to 8 circles, about 3" in diameter. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
3. Gather the remaining dough, then pat out again to form a thick layer. Stamp out slightly smaller rounds than the first batch. Repeat if necessary, but remember that if you overwork the dough, the shortcake won't be light and fluffy.
4. Brush the larger rounds with melted butter, then place the smaller rounds on top and brush with butter.
5. Freeze while preheating oven. When warm, bake for 15 minutes or until risen, golden and firm. The shortcakes should be just baked through with a cakey texture. Serve warm.
6. TO ASSEMBLE: Assemble the shortcakes just before serving. Split apart. Spoon the sliced strawberries, sugared to taste, over the bottom halves. Top with smaller halves and decorate with whole strawberries. Sprinkle with sugar. Serve with lightly whipped cream.
Per Serving: 2909kJ, 7.4g Protein, 47.5g Fat, 64g Carbs
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (322g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 378 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 42g||56 %|
|Saturated Fat 25.8g||129 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 123.6mg||38 %|
|Sodium 506.7mg||17 %|
|Potassium 358.5mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 93.4g||27 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||18 %|
|Sugars, other 88.8g|
|Protein 8.4g||12 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 772
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.