Cook the vegetables:
1. Set a small saucepan on medium heat. When the pan is hot, pour in the oil.
2. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and translucent, but not brown.
Add the liquids:
3. Add the beef stock and canned tomatoes (and liquid smoke if using) to the onions and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook at low simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the spices:
4. Whisk together the salt, cumin, fennel seeds, cinnamon, oregano, dried ancho pepper, ground chipotle and hickory smoke powder in a bowl.
5. Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the simmering liquid and whisk until they are fully incorporated into the sauce.
6. Blend together with immersion blender (or in regular blender then return to saucepan).
7. Simmer for five minutes.
Finish the sauce:
8. Whisk together the sugar and xanthan gum, then pour into simmering sauce.
9. When you have stirred your sauce and made sure there are no remaining lumps, turn off the heat.
10. Slowly, add the chocolate until fully melted.
11. Taste and season if needed.
12. Sauce is ready to use immediately, or cool down and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
The sauce is designed fo sous vide and will thin with released juices during cooking. Thin out with water or unseasoned broth to desired consistency to convert to ready to use sauce.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (34g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 44 (44%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4.9g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 896.9mg||31 %|
|Potassium 98.8mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16.1g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 15g|
|Protein 0.9g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 101
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!