Pad Thai or Phat Thai (Thai: ผัดไทย [pʰàt tʰāj], "fried Thai style") is a dish of stir-fried rice noodles with eggs, fish sauce (Thai: น้ำปลา), tamarind juice, red chilli pepper, plus any combination of bean sprouts, shrimp, chicken, or tofu, garnished with crushed peanuts, coriander and lime, the juice of which can be added along with Thai condiments. Pad Thai is one of Thailand's national dishes. (Quote from wikipedia)
1. At least half an hour before you begin cooking, place dry rice noodles in a large bowl. Cover with hot tap water and let soak for at least 30 minutes up to 2 hours
2. Stir together fish sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar in a small bowl
3. Prepare the beaten eggs, onion, garlic, shrimp, bean sprouts, green onions, cilantro and peanuts in separate bowls so that they are ready to quickly throw into the stir-fry. Once you begin cooking, it will go very quickly.
4. Heat half of the vegetable oil in a wok or very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until the eggs are firmly scrambled. Remove scrambled eggs to a bowl, breaking up into clumps.
5. Drain the noodles in a colander.
6. Add the remaining oil to the wok or skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add minced onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just golden, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and stir-fry for 1 or 2 minutes or until cooked through.
7. Now add the tamarind sauce mixture, 2 cups (500 mL) of the bean sprouts, the green onions, the noodles and the water. Cook, stirring constantly, until the noodles are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Return the scrambled egg to the pan along with the cilantro and toss to mix.
8. Remove from heat and dump noodles onto a large bowl or platter. Top with remaining bean sprouts and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (426g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 285 (33%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 31.6g||42 %|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 9.1g|
|Cholesterol 135.6mg||42 %|
|Sodium 532.3mg||18 %|
|Potassium 737.3mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 123.7g||36 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7.5g||30 %|
|Sugars, other 116.2g|
|Protein 23.5g||34 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 859
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.