My own delicious variation of a squash based soup using the acorn variety. With careful thought and care, I've created a smooth and invigorating soup that would provide a perfect (and healthy) dinner starter to any party or social gathering. Certainly a multi-purpose dish that would work well anywhere. Perfect in your favorite mug for chilly rainy days. When with friends, I like to serve it with baked honey ham and salad (just an idea). You'll have everyone asking you where you learned to cook so well, I promise!
1. Cut the acorn squash into 1-2 inch cubes, boil for ten minutes or until tender (a fork should be able to pierce through with ease). Drain. Set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl or cup, combine the flour, brown sugar, curry powder, and ginger. Mix loosely and set aside.
3. Chop the celery, onions, carrot, and garlic finely. Saute the ingredients in half of the butter for two minutes on medium high heat in a deep pan. Next add the remainder of the butter, vinegar, olive oil, cream, and bouillon cube. Stir in the flour mixture for fifteen seconds slowly and reduce heat to medium or medium low. Cover with lid and cook for an additional three minutes.
4. When veggies are cooked through, add the already boiled cubed acorn squash to the top of the veggies, generously sprinkle some salt and pepper. Toss in the chopped Cilantro. Cover. Heat for another minute or until squash is heated through.
5. The mixture is now prepared to be blended. Take half of the saute mixture and blend until mostly smooth. Set aside. A little texture is good so no need to over blend. Blend the other half of the mixture. Combine the two parts back in your pan, reheat if needed. Put into a large serving bowl or separate serving dishes, garnish with cilantro and/or drizzled cream.
6. Indulge and Enjoy!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (159g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 115 (66%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 12.8g||17 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.4g||37 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 33.9mg||10 %|
|Sodium 213.9mg||7 %|
|Potassium 194.9mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.2g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 12.7g|
|Protein 1.6g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 174
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.