In a small bowl, combine brandy and currants. Cover and let stand until currants are plump, at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
2. Preheat oven to 375?. Sort cranberries and discard any that are bruised or decayed. Rinse and drain berries.
3. In a large bowl, mix 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons flour, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. With a slotted spoon, lift currants from brandy; reserve brandy. Add currants, cranberries, and apples to sugar mixture and mix well. Taste and add more granulated sugar if desired. Pour filling into unbaked 10-inch pie pastry in pan. Drizzle evenly with reserved brandy.
4. In another bowl, mix 1 cup flour and the brown sugar. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub with your fingers until mixture forms small lumps. Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Set pie in a foil-lined 12-inch pizza pan or 10- by 15-inch baking pan.
5. Bake on the bottom rack until juices bubble around edges and through topping, 55 to 65 minutes. If pie browns too quickly (check after 30 minutes), cover loosely with foil.
6. Set pie, uncovered, on a rack until cool to touch, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Cut into wedges.
Beth Secrest once baked four to eight pies a day at the Northern Lights Saloon on the border of Glacier National Park. Now she puts her baking expertise to use at home, where she created this dressed-up apple pie. If making it up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill. To warm the cold pie, bake uncovered in a 350? oven 10 to 15 minutes.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (42g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (0%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 4.4mg||0 %|
|Potassium 31.2mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 34.1g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 33.8g|
|Protein 0.1g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 145
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.