These dainty treats are very simple to make and taste outstanding.
1. Preheat oven to 200C/425F/gas 7. Grease 2 large baking sheets with butter.
2. Mix together the apple sauce, cornflour, cinnamon and sultanas in a mixing bowl.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 40 cm (16in) square. Cut into sixteen 10cm (4in) squares.
4. Spread the filling equally over the centre of each pastry square. Take care not to overfill.
5. Lightly moisten the edges of each pastry square, then fold each diagonally in half to make a triangle. Pinch the edges together or seal with the prongs of a fork.
6. Put the turnovers on the baking sheets. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden.
7. Transfer to a wire rack and serve warm or cold. Sprinkle with extra caster sugar.
For you own apple sauce, peel and core 450g (1lb) cooking apples. Cut into thin slices and put into a large saucepan. Add 15g (1/2oz) caster sugar, 2 tbsp water and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Cover and stew apples over a low heat for 15 minutes, or until they are soft and fluffy. Transfer to a bowl and beat to a puree with a large fork.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (84g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 99 (56%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||14 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.4g|
|Cholesterol 11.6mg||4 %|
|Sodium 74.5mg||3 %|
|Potassium 44.5mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17.8g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.8g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 17g|
|Protein 2.4g||3 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 178
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.