1. Prepare the Leeks: Trim the leeks, leaving some green at the top to color the soup. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut across into 1/4 inch slices. Rinse in a colander in plenty of cold running water.
2. In a large dutch oven pot, heat canola oil over medium heat.
3. Sautee onions till translucent (3-5 minutes) - Do not let them brown. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper while sauteeing.
4. Add minced garlic until you begin to smell the garlic (about 30 seconds)
5. Add Asparagus, stir and sautee for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add chicken broth, raise heat to high and bring to simmer.
7. Add grated nutmeg, cover and simmer until asparagus is tender (you can easily pierce with a knife) (about 15 minutes).
7. Add baby spinach to broth and let cook till spinach is completely wilted (Note: If you prefer to see some whole spinach in the finished soup, hold back a small handful until the end).
8. Once everything has cooked sufficiently, season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. Puree the soup by either placing soup in small batches into a blender (be careful not to overfill as hot soup can explode in tightly closed blender), or utilize an immersion blender if available. Once blended, return all soup to dutch oven.
10. (Optional) Add reserved spinach and cook just till wilted.
11. Add lemon juice.
13. (Optional) For a rich and creamier soup, add half and half or heavy cream just before serving
Serve with a slice of french bread. Consider other garnish ideas such as a sprinkle of parsley, several croutons, or several seared scallops
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (2661g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 3391 (63%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 376.8g||502 %|
|Saturated Fat 106.3g||532 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 157.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 81.4g|
|Cholesterol 1840mg||566 %|
|Sodium 1729.6mg||60 %|
|Potassium 5027.5mg||132 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 13.6g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||16 %|
|Sugars, other 9.7g|
|Protein 460.3g||658 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 5399
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!