1) Chill the pastry case and soften the ice cream by putting them in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Once softened, carefully spoon the ice cream into the pastry case, building it into a slight mound in the centre.
2) Put in the freezer for about 45 minutes, or until the ice cream is solid again.
3) Preheat oven to 230 celcius/ 450 farenheit/ gas 8. For the meringue, put the egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric whisk until the mixture holds with soft peaks. Whisk in the caster sugar, a little at a time, then mix in the vanilla essence.
4) Remove the pie from the freezer. Spoon the meringue mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a large star-shaped nozzle. Working quickly, pipe swirls evenly on top of the ice cream, covering it completely.
5) Sift a little icing sugar over the pie. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the meringue has browned slightly. Serve straight from the oven.
Tip: Use a different flavour ice cream if you like - try a hard-scoop strawberry ice cream. For an expecially sweet treat, gently warm some strawberry jam in a small saucepan and spoon over the baked pie.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (96g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 127 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.1g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 7.7g||39 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2g|
|Cholesterol 65.6mg||20 %|
|Sodium 78.7mg||3 %|
|Potassium 144.8mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.8g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 25.7g|
|Protein 4.2g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 247
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!