These are great! Nice and easy, and light and yummy. I get about 16 biscuits with this recipe. I like the versatility as well. I add cheese or garlic; whatever hits me at the time. I almost always add extra sugar.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease two 8-inch cake pans.
2. Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl.
3. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around the fork.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 14 times.
6. Pat until 1/2-inch thick.
7. Cut into rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
8. Place, touching each other, in the cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.
9. CRUSTY BISCUITS.
10. Roll biscuits to 1/4-inch thick and place 1-inch apart in pan.
11. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes.
12. Yields almost double the biscuits.
13. BUTTERMILK BISCUITS.
14. Use 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of sweet milk, 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and only 2 teaspoons baking powder.
15. CHEESE BISCUITS.
16. Add 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese to dry ingredients.
17. DROP BISCUITS.
18. Add additional 1/3 cup milk and use a baking sheet.
35 min | 15 min prep
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Biscuit (4g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Biscuits|
|Calories from Fat: 0 (0%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0g|
|Cholesterol 0.2mg||0 %|
|Sodium 164.5mg||6 %|
|Potassium 3.9mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.4g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 0.4g|
|Protein 0.1g||0 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 2
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.