Prepare the Saganaki cheese
1. Combine egg whites and water in a bowl and mix lightly.
Dip slices of saganaki cheese into the egg-white mix and dust with plain flour. Repeat.
1. Put the asparagus in a dish and pour 1 tablespoon of the oil over, then sprinkle with a little salt.
2. Mix the lemon juice with a pinch of sugar and whisk in 2 more tablespoons of the oil. Season with a pinch of salt and add the chopped parsley. Set aside.
3. Soak the capers in cold water for 5 minutes, then drain and dry on kitchen paper. Heat the remaining tablespoon of the oil over a high heat and fry the capers until dry and crisp. Tip onto kitchen paper to drain.
4. Heat a cast-iron griddle pan over a high heat. When it starts to smoke, turn the heat to medium and griddle the asparagus and lemon wedges on each side until tender - about 5 minutes.
5. Put the saganaki slices onto hot bbq and grill until golden brown.
6. Divide asparagus between plates and top with two slices of saganaki per plate.
7.Scatter with the crispy capers, pour over the dressing and drizzle with extra olive oil. Serve as hot as possible with the grilled lemon wedges.
This recipe must be served hot, otherwise the saganaki cheese goes rubbery and tasteless.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (111g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 143 (91%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 15.9g||21 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.2g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.7g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 21.1mg||1 %|
|Potassium 153.9mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 2.9g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 1.5g|
|Protein 2.6g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 158
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.