There are as many barbacoa recipes as there are states in Mexico (if not more). This recipe is from the southern states of Oaxaca and Guerrero. The flavors of ancho and guajillo chiles mix beautifully with the anise/liquorice taste of the avocado leaves. You won't be able to stop from eating this succulent dish!
For better results, let marinade overnight.
• Mix together Acapulco Cooking paste and water
• Heat oil or lard in a saucepan and fry the sauce for 5 minutes and season with salt. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
• Place meat in a shallow dish and rub with the sauce. Make sure that all sides are covered with the sauce. Marinade overnight.
• Next day:
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Soften banana leaves inside the oven while it is warming up for 30 seconds.
• In a large Dutch oven, spread out the banana leaves, place the meat on top of the banana leaves with the sauce, top with avocado and bay leaves. Fold banana leaves over to cover the meat tightly. Cover Dutch oven and transfer to oven.
• Cook until meat is tender, about 2 ½ hours. Transfer meat to a platter. You can either shred it or serve the whole piece. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard. Serve 2 ribs (or shredded beef equivalent) in each dinner plate and spoon over with sauce. If desired, serve with warm corn tortillas on the side. Provecho!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (367g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 2 (13%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 0.2g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.1g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 4.6mg||0 %|
|Potassium 61.9mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.7g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 2.2g|
|Protein 0.6g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 15
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!