0. Take the meet out of the fridge at least 30mn before use.
1. Remove rind and dice bacon. Peel the baby onions but leave them whole.
2. On high heat sear the meat in dutch oven by batch in olive oil until brown (not grey!).
3. Turn heat down. Melt butter on medium heat. Add the onions and bacon. Let them brown for 2 to 3 min, stirring regularly with wooden spoon. Season with Salt and ground pepper.
4. Peel carrots and turnip. Cut them in 2" chunks. Rinse and Add to the dish.
5. Add the flour to the dish and stir well with a wooden spoon. As soon as it changes color, throw in the tomato paste and stir again. Add the red wine little by little, then the beef broth thinning down the sauce as it thickens and stirring all the time. Season with pepper mill. Add the peeled and crushed garlic. Continue stirring.
6. Once you have a smooth sauce, return the meet to the dish.
7. Wash and tie together the parsley, the celery, thyme, and bay leaves. Put in the dish. , Cover and leave to simmer for approx 2h30 over low heat.
8. 1h before end of cooking add mushrooms. Turn heat up to evaporate if the sauce is too liquid. Looking for 3 parts liquid for 2 parts meat in volume.
9. 25mn before end of cooking, peel and steam potatoes to serve on the side.
Can be prepared the day before, warm it up the next day. It is safe for children as the wine cooks for 2h letting alcohol evaporate.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (662g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 374 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 41.6g||55 %|
|Saturated Fat 16.6g||83 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4g|
|Cholesterol 137.7mg||42 %|
|Sodium 557.8mg||19 %|
|Potassium 1429.7mg||38 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 35.3g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6.9g||28 %|
|Sugars, other 28.4g|
|Protein 36.4g||52 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 716
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.