1. Coat beef in 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and massaman curry paste. Stir well to coat and set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat remaining oil over a medium heat. Stir-fry the cardamom, cinnamon and star anise for 40 seconds. Add the whole shallots and fry until golden brown.
3. Add the curry-coated beef and brown for 1-2 minutes. Stir the beef well to coat it in the spices.
4. Add 1 can of coconut milk, 2 tbsp of fish sauce and 1/2 to 1 cup of water until the beef is just covered by the liquid. Stir well and then bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn heat down very low and cover. Gently simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
5. After this time, add the remaining can of coconut milk, potatoes, peanuts and half the basil leaves. Stir well. Taste and add a little more fish sauce if necessary.
6. Turn heat up to medium-low and cover. Cook for another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
7. Meanwhile, prepare the tamarind juice. If you’re using fresh tamarind, peel the fruit out of the pod. Place the fruit and seeds in 2 tablespoons of warm water and use your fingers to rub the pulp off the seeds into the water. The water will become brown and pulpy — this is tamarind juice. Discard the seeds.
8. Once the potatoes are cooked, remove the curry from the heat. Stir in the sugar, tamarind juice and remaining basil. Stir well and serve the beef massaman curry with Jasmine rice.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (403g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 126 (31%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.2g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.5g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 894.3mg||31 %|
|Potassium 1388.9mg||37 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 63.5g||19 %|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28 %|
|Sugars, other 56.4g|
|Protein 10.3g||15 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 406
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Try BigOven Pro for Free for 30 days.
Keep all your recipes with free BigOven membership. Clip recipes, make grocery lists, meal plans and more!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe