1. Place the can of tomatoes and juice in a large pot.
2. Break the tomatoes into pieces with the back of a wooden spoon
3. Cut the meat into 1 - inch cubes
4. Quarter and thinly slice the onions
5. Slice the carrots and celery.
6. Shred the cabbage. (Cabbage cooks down really nice)
7. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, beef, onion, carrots, celery, 1 1/2 cup cabbage, 8 cups broth, lima beans, okra, barley, and bay leaf.
8. Cover and bring to a boil.
9. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
10. Simmer, partially covered, until the meat, barley, and vegetables are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
11. Use a ladle or skimmer, remove any foam that forms during the cooking time.
12. Add additional broth if too much liquid has evaporated.
13. Add the green beans and stir.
14. Thin the soup, if necessary, with additional broth or water.
15. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
16. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (690g)|
|Recipe Makes: 5 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 15 (4%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.7g||2 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.5g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 706.3mg||24 %|
|Potassium 1956.3mg||51 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 72.6g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 21.1g||85 %|
|Sugars, other 51.5g|
|Protein 20.8g||30 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 370
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!