1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans (from Sweetapolita: I used three 8-inch round pans) or 2 quarter sheet pans, or one 9 x 12-inch pan.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they’re stiff. Transfer them to another bowl, and then clean the mixing bowl and beater.
3. Combine the butter, vegetable oil, and granulated sugar in the mixing bowl and mix until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and beat until smooth.
4. Add the coconut and beat to combine.
5. Combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl, and then add to the mixer bowl, alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix for a few seconds between each addition.
6. Add the stiff egg whites by gently folding into the mixture by hand until they’re incorporated.
7. Divide the batter among the pans and spread it out evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
8. Let cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes in pans, and then turn out onto the wire rack to cool completely.
1. Combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer (can use whisk or paddle attachment) until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
2. Add 3/4 cup of the chopped pecans and all of the coconut and mix until combined.
1. If using round cake layers, stack them onto desired cake plate or board with generous amount of filling between each layer. If using the quarter sheet pans, cut them in half lengthwise, resulting in 4 rectangular layers, and spread a generous amount of filling between each layer.
2. Cover the stacked cake with the remaining icing and top with remaining chopped pecans.
Store leftovers in the fridge.
*Alternate: 1 cup milk mixed with 1 teaspoon white vinegar.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (253g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 428 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 47.6g||63 %|
|Saturated Fat 19.4g||97 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 17.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 6.4g|
|Cholesterol 393.4mg||121 %|
|Sodium 545.9mg||19 %|
|Potassium 263.7mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 86.7g||26 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 84.6g|
|Protein 14.8g||21 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 821
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!