=== Shortbread Base ===
1) Lightly grease an 8" round cake tin (one with a removable bottom is needed or you won't get your finished shortbread out!) and pre-heat your oven to 180C (for fan assisted, adjust accordingly).
2) In a bowl, cream the butter until soft, then add the caster sugar and beat until pale and fluffy.
3) Stir in the plain flour & rice flour, until the mixture binds together. Then, knead well to form a smooth dough. NOTE: The Rice flour helps give the shortbread a really nice crunch, if you can't get hold of any then just use plain flour instead.
4) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 8' round and place it in the bottom of the cake tin pushing the dough upto the edges.
5) Prick the surface all over with a fork and bake in the oven for 25-30mins, until pale golden and just firm to the touch.
6) Take out and cool on a wire rack (Don't remove from the tin) and move onto to making the topping.
=== Caramel Topping ===
7) Place the butter and sugar onto a non-stick pan and stir over a medium heat until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolves.
8) Add the condensed milk, stirring continuously until the first bubbles appear on the surface. At this point remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
9) Pour the caramel over the shortbread and shake the tin to settle.
10) Leave on the side to cool fully. You can put in it the fridge to cool at this stage, but i find that you'll get condensation forming on top of the caramel.
11) Once cool, chop the chocolate bars into small squares and then sprinkle on top of the caramel and with a large flat blade pat down slightly to ensure the pieces are stuck.
12) Cover and chill in the fridge for 30-40 mins.
13) Remove fro the cake tin and slice into 16 pieces.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (41g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 126 (77%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14g||19 %|
|Saturated Fat 8.8g||44 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 37mg||11 %|
|Sodium 99.2mg||3 %|
|Potassium 12.5mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.1g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1 %|
|Sugars, other 8.9g|
|Protein 1g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 164
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.