1. In a 6-8 qt. pot, brown ground meat
2. While the meat begins to brown, add onions and garlic. Continue browning until meat is no longer pink.
3. Drain meat and return it back into pot. Add seasonsings, tomatoes and black beans (don't drain).
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. OPTIONAL: After 10 minutes, mix cornstarch and water. Stir to dissolve and add mixture to the chili, stirring well to incorporate. (this will add a bit more moisture and thicken the chili).
6. Continue to simmer the chili for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to keep chili warm until ready to serve. Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes.
This is good with cornbread.
I usually split the recipe in two to make both meat and vegetarian versions. Make vegetarian by subbing extra beans (black, red or cannelini) for the meat (see second picture). You'll get about 3-4 servings of each.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (418g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 282 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 31.3g||42 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.8g||59 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 13.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.3g|
|Cholesterol 106mg||33 %|
|Sodium 565.8mg||20 %|
|Potassium 1002mg||26 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 41.8g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.7g||59 %|
|Sugars, other 27.1g|
|Protein 38.8g||55 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 606
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.