When one thinks of black eyed peas, the Deep South of the U.S. comes to mind. Quite the reverse in India. The Midwestern state of Punjab pays tribute to black eyed peas which offers a rick source of energy to the workers who till the soil. The combination of beans, dairy and greens make this dish not only a powerhouse of nutrients but also down right delicious.
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the Ghee in a 2 quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Add cumin seed; sizzle 30 seconds. Add garlic; cook 1 minute stirring frequently until golden brown.
2. Stir in tomato and Garam Masaala. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomato is softened. Stir in water, black eyed peas and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
3. Beat yogurt with wire whisk or spoon until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon Ghee in wok or deep 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add ginger root; stir fry about 30 sec or until partially brown.
5. Add greens; stir fry 2 to 4 minutes or until greens are wilted and cooking liquid has evaporated. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
6. To serve, place peas in serving bowl and top with cooked greens.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (204g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 47 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 5.3g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.1g||16 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 13.6mg||4 %|
|Sodium 76.9mg||3 %|
|Potassium 360mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.4g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 7.4g|
|Protein 4.2g||6 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 96
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!