1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. To make the scone, mix the flour, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour using your fingertips until you have a breadcrumb consistency. Add the sugar, dried lavender and lemon zest and mix well. Make a well in the centre and add the milk. Using a round-tipped knife, mix until it starts to form a dough. Gently bring the dough together with your hands.
3. Tip it out onto a lightly floured surface and form the dough into a mound, but do not knead or the scone will become chewy rather than soft and crumbly. Transfer the dough to the centre of the prepared tray and use a rolling pin or the back of your hand to press the dough out to a large circle about 2cm/1in thick. You can trim the edges if you like, but I prefer not to.
4. Use a sharp knife to cut the circle into 12 slices, cutting all the way down and all the way through. Bake for 15 minutes. The scone should be golden around the edges and firm to the touch.
5. Leave to cool completely on the tray. As soon as it is cool enough, transfer to your chosen serving dish.
6. To make the topping, mix the clotted cream and vanilla bean paste together. Add the jam and ripple it through with a spoon. Spread the mixture all over the scone, leaving a 1cm/½in gap around the edge, like a pizza crust, so you’ll have somewhere cream-free to hold. Top with blueberries, scatter with lemon zest and serve.
Clotted Cream Recipe for 1 Cup:
1 Stick Unsalted Butter
1/2 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
Beat Unsalted Butter until light and fluffy and beat Heavy Whipping Cream until stiff peaks form. Drain if there is any water and fold together and store.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (62g)|
|Recipe Makes: 12 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 53 (52%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 5.9g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.7g||18 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.3g|
|Cholesterol 15.2mg||5 %|
|Sodium 32.3mg||1 %|
|Potassium 51.7mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||6 %|
|Sugars, other 12.5g|
|Protein 0.5g||1 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 101
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.