- Heat the butter and the oil together in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted and the saucepan is hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the pancetta and cook for a further 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are softened and pancetta is golden.
- Add the meat a third at a time, stirring and breaking lumps with a spoon between each addition. Adding the meat gradually allows its liquid to evaporate – which is key if you want to brown your meat and not boil it. When no pink can be spotted in the meat and no lumps remain, continue to cook the meat until it starts to caramelize and even become crispy in spots; about 10 - 15 minutes. More liquids will evaporate and flavors will concentrate. You want golden bits of meat to stick to the bottom of your pan, which will be deglazed later. Watch over your pan as you don’t want the meat to burn.
- At the end of your sautéing time, pour the red wine into the sauce pan. With a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Push the meat all around to make sure you scrape it all off. By the time you’re finished, the wine will be mostly or completely evaporated (2-3 minutes). Be careful not to let the meat stick again.
- Add diced tomatoes and their liquid, water, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to the lowest heat and let simmer very slowly, half-covered, for 2 hours.
- Stir once in a while. If your sauce starts sticking before the end of your cooking time, lower the heat (if possible) and/or add a bit of water or wine.
- In the end, the sauce should be thick, more oil- than water-based.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (404g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 206 (46%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 22.9g||31 %|
|Saturated Fat 10.2g||51 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.7g|
|Cholesterol 127.8mg||39 %|
|Sodium 461.7mg||16 %|
|Potassium 1014.8mg||27 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 12.1g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 9.5g|
|Protein 36.8g||53 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 449
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!