For the Cake:
1. Cut five little orange pumpkins in half and scoop out seeds (the ghost and variegated do not offer as much flavor).
2. Roast in 350 oven face down until soft.
3. Scoop mushy part into saucepan and add a cube of butter, three tart apples (raw, cubed, skins on), ½ c brown sugar, ½ c maple syrup, a teaspoon of vanilla and a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice; add water as needed.
4. Simmer covered on low low low heat until it turns dark brown and tastes amazing, like pumpkin butter.
5. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Butter and flour two round 9-inch cake pans (I used a sheet cake pan and punched out my layers using a ring mold, hence the many layers in the photo).
6. Whisk together the flour, salt, spices, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside.
7. In a separate bowl or in a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
8. Add the pumpkin, sweetened condensed, whipping cream, water, and vanilla, mixing after each addition.
9. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
10. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake springs back to the touch and pulls away from the sides of the pan.
11. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack to cool fully. It's best to chill the cakes in the refrigerators before frosting them.
For the frosting:
12. Beat together all the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and fluffy.
13. Frost between each layer and top with more frosting. If you want a cake with more layers, slice your two layers in half horizontally. Leave the sides un-frosted if you like, or cover them with a thin layer of frosting.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (377g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 573 (47%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 63.7g||85 %|
|Saturated Fat 39.3g||197 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 16.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.5g|
|Cholesterol 178.9mg||55 %|
|Sodium 11025.3mg||380 %|
|Potassium 234.4mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 165.6g||49 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||2 %|
|Sugars, other 165.1g|
|Protein 6.2g||9 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1231
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!