1. Season beef with salt and pepper
2. Heat oil over medium high heat in heavy bottom pot. Once oil is hot, add beef and sear all sides.
3. Add carrots, onion, celery and garlic and continue cooking until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in flour and cook about 3 minutes
5. Add bay leaf and stir in brown sugar, tomato paste and thyme. Add in beef stock and beer, scraping bottom of pan to loosen all small bits.
6. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about an hour or until beef is tender.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm until serving.
While you could use any beer to make this slow-cooked aromatic dish, Belgian lager works well and enhances the earthy taste of the beef served over rich Gouda mashed potatoes and sweet caramelized onions.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (1248g)|
|Recipe Makes: 3 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 425 (51%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 47.3g||63 %|
|Saturated Fat 18.4g||92 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 21.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2g|
|Cholesterol 161mg||50 %|
|Sodium 1835mg||63 %|
|Potassium 2447.5mg||64 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 39.6g||12 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 37.1g|
|Protein 56.8g||81 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 841
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.