1) Salt and pepper the short ribs.
2) In a heavy bottom Dutch oven sauté the ribs a few at a time until well caramelized. Remove the ribs and set aside.
3) In a food processor, purée the carrots leeks and garlic.
4) De glaze the Dutch oven with a bit of the wine, then add the puréed vegetables and tomato sauce and sauté on high heat. Allow mixture to be to caramelize before stirring. You want to build up a dark crust on the bottom. If it begins to burn you can add a bit more wine to deglaze.
5) When the vegetable purée is well caramelized remove the Dutch oven from the heat and add in the browned short ribs and any juice they have dripped while sitting. Add the bay leaves and beef broth. Ensure the ribs are covered by the broth. Add extra water or more broth as necessary to ensure the ribs are covered.
6) Cook covered for 4 hours at 300F
7) After 4 hours, the meat should be falling off the bone. You want these very well done. At this point, clean, peel and coarsely chop the vegetables and add them to the pot. Return to the oven for an additional 30 mins to 1 hour depending on how you like your vegetables done. You can use potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, turnip, sweet potatoes, squash. What ever you like.
This is amazing served with garlic mashed potatoes.
Your Dutch oven needs a tight fitting lid. If your lid is loose you can try using parchment paper and then the lid to help seal.
The left overs, including the wonderful vegetable fond makes an amazing beef and barley soup the next day.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (2256g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 30 (6%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 3.4g||4 %|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.8g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 3969.9mg||137 %|
|Potassium 4622.5mg||122 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 72.2g||21 %|
|Dietary Fiber 12.3g||49 %|
|Sugars, other 59.9g|
|Protein 48.5g||69 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 476
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!