1) To make the starter: Mix the water, yeast, and flour, stirring until the flour is incorporated. Cover and let rest at room temperature for about 14 hours, until bubbly.
2) To make the dough: Combine the starter with the remaining ingredients, and mix and knead by hand, mixer, or bread machine to make a soft, smooth dough.
3) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 60 minutes.
4) Gently deflate the dough, divide it in half, and round each half into a ball.
5) Place each ball, seam side up, in a generously floured mini brotform. No brotform? Place the dough seam side down on a piece of parchment.
6) Cover and let rise until noticeably puffy, about 60 minutes.
7) Tip the loaves out of the brotform onto a cornmeal-dusted baker's peel or parchment, and transfer them to a pizza stone in a preheated 425?F oven.
8) Bake the loaves on the stone for 22 to 26 minutes, until they're golden brown. No pizza stone? Simply bake the loaves on a baking sheet.
9) To make bread bowls: Cut the top third off each loaf. Scoop out the insides, and fill with your favorite hearty soup or stew.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 bread bowl (293g)|
|Recipe Makes: 2 bread bowl|
|Calories from Fat: 36 (31%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 4g||5 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.2g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 9.7mg||3 %|
|Sodium 57.5mg||2 %|
|Potassium 229.3mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 15.7g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 13.5g|
|Protein 5.1g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 115
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!