1. Prepare the tomatoes first. Parbil the tomatoes for one minute in boiling water that has just been removed from the burner. Drain. Useing a sharp small knife, remove the skins of the tomatoes. Once teh tomatoes are peeled, cut them in halves or quarters and remove the seeds and juice from the centers. Also cut out and discard the stem area
2. Make sure there is a top rack in place in your oven. Turn on the oven to 450F to pre-heat.
3. Whilte the oven is heating, chop up the tomatoes finely. Put tomatoes, garlic, 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar in a bowl and mix. Add the chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. ( I usually let this marinate a few hours before the final step)
4. Slice the baguette or french bread in about ? inch thick slices. If your french bread is large, I cut the slices again to make them more manageable sizes for an appetizer. Place the sliced break on a cooking sheet. You will want to toast them in the top rack in your oven, so you may need to do these in batches depending on the size of your oven. Once the oven has reached 450?, place a tray of bread slices in the oven on the top rack. Toast ofr 2-4 minutes, until the bread just begins to turn slightly golden brown. **You will need to watch this step as some ovens brown the bread much quicker than others.
5. Take the toasted bread and spoon the tomato mixture on each slice. Sprinkle the mozarella cheese on top of the tomato mixture. Put the cooking sheet back into the oven and let the cheese melt and tomatoes cook slightly maybe 3-4 minutes (again depending on your oven.)
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (181g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 139 (56%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 15.4g||21 %|
|Saturated Fat 8.9g||44 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 54.4mg||17 %|
|Sodium 540.5mg||19 %|
|Potassium 294.9mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6.3g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||5 %|
|Sugars, other 5.2g|
|Protein 21.5g||31 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 249
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.