An alternative pizza that celebrates the bounty of fall. I came up with this combination after exhausting the rissotto/pasta/soup options for butternut squash and to quash a pizza hankering. The tanginess of the goat cheese is essential to counteract the sweetness of the squash. Yum!
1. In a shallow roasting pan, place the butternut squash cut side down along with the head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and cover the garlic head with aluminum foil. Roast in the oven at 375º F until squash and garlic are tender, 30-40 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil and reduce the volume by half, or until only a few tablespoons remain. Transfer to a glass jar. This balsamic vinegar reduction will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.
2. Spoon squash flesh away from skin and set aside in a bowl. Extrude the garlic cloves by simply pressing out of their skins. Set aside.
[The above steps can be done in advance]
3. Roll out the pizza dough. Increase the oven temperature to 400ºF. Brush dough round(s) lightly with olive oil and prick with a fork to avoid giant bubbles, and briefly cook the crusts on a pizza stone until they are cooked enough to retain their shape but not too browned, just a few minutes.
4. Spread the roasted garlic atop one side of the pizza crust. Top with spinach, squash bits and goat cheese, dotting around the whole crust. Top with a sprinkling of the roasted pepper and rosemary. Return to the oven and cook until hot and fragrant, but not until the cheese is oozy, 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool ever so slightly. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar reduction and serve immediately. Enjoy!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (127g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 164 (62%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.2g||24 %|
|Saturated Fat 11.9g||59 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.7g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 44.8mg||14 %|
|Sodium 301.8mg||10 %|
|Potassium 218.2mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 11.5g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 10.7g|
|Protein 13.1g||19 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 266
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!