Peel and rough chop onions, squash, apples, carrots, and garlic. Cut celery stalks in half (for easy removal later).
In a large soup pot or dutch oven saute onions and celery in olive oil until onions begin to carmelize. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 1 more minute.
Add squash, apples, and carrots. Add chicken stock to slightly less than just covering. Bring to a medium boil and cook until all is tender.
Remove celery, add thyme, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, and season with salt and pepper. Blend with immersion or countertop blender until smooth. Once smooth, add cream and adjust seasonings as needed.
Garnish with frest thyme and serve with a slice of crusty bread.
- I use a 7.25 quart dutch oven and it is just the right size (wouldn't want it to be any smaller)
- Celery will be slightly stringy in your soup if you do not remove
- I like the flavorful nature of this soup, if you like more subtle flavors, half the spices and gradually add after that to suit your tastes
- Chichen stock should be close to covering but not quite, the ingredients will cook down into the stock
- This makes a big pot of soup, about 18 cups. We are a family of 6 so this works well.
- It tastes even better the day after you make it...
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (160g)|
|Recipe Makes: 25 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 35 (30%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 3.8g||5 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.3g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 13mg||4 %|
|Sodium 18.1mg||1 %|
|Potassium 504.5mg||13 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 21.3g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12 %|
|Sugars, other 18.4g|
|Protein 1.7g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 116
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!