This famous salad is frequently prepared at the customer's table by the waiter, and most recipes are written for a la carte service. The recipe included here has been adapted for kitchen preparation, so that larger quantities can be prepared, if desired. The ingredients are traditional, even if the method is not.
1. Wash and drain the greens thoroughly. Chill in refrigerator.
2. Trim the crusts from the bread. Cut the bread into small cubes, about 3/8 inches (1 am)
3. Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a saute pan over moderate high heat. Add the bread cubes and saute in the oil until golden and crisp. Add more oil as needed.
4. Remove the croutons from the pan and hold for service. Do not refrigerate.
5. Mash the anchovies and garlic together to make a paste.
6. Beat in the eggs and lemon juice until smooth.
7. Beating constantly with a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil.
8. Season the dressing to taste.
9. Cut or tear the romaine into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl.
10. Immediately before service, pour the dressing over the greens and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Toss until all the leaves are coated with the dressing.
11. Add the croutons and toss again.
Yield: 14.06 oz
Portion: 3 oz
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (124g)|
|Recipe Makes: 75 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 81 (63%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 9g||12 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.4g||7 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.2g|
|Cholesterol 25.7mg||8 %|
|Sodium 110.7mg||4 %|
|Potassium 251.4mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.3g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.3g||9 %|
|Sugars, other 8.1g|
|Protein 2.9g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 129
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!