1. Make the croutons: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the bread cubes, sprinkle with salt, toss to coat with oil, and arrange in a single layer. Toast, tossing every minute or so, until cubes are golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Can be made upo to several days ahead of time.
2. Make anchovy-garlic paste: Chop anchovies and garlic together until mixture is smooth and paste-like; set aside.
3. Make the dressing base: Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in the mustard until combined. Whisk in anchovy-garlic paste. While whisking, pour in the lemon juice until smooth.
4. Whisk in the oils: While whisking, pour in the olive oil to create a thick emulsion. Once all of the olive oil is added, whisk for another minute to thicken. Continue whisking and slowly our in vegetable oil. Again, once the oil is emulsified, added the Parmesan cheese and black pepper to taste.
5. Prepare the romaine lettuce: Cut the Romaine lettuce into bite-sized pieces and rinse under cool running water. Spin salad to dry and then pat dry with a tea towel.
6. Place romaine in a large bowl, add half of the dressing, and toss to combine. Ad croutons and toss again. Add some shaved Parmesan. adjust seasoning with more salad dressing and Parmesan. Serve immediately.
Store leftover croutons in a sealed container for up to a week in the fridge or 6 months in a freezer. Leftover dressing can be stored in a fridge for a day before it begins to break down.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (274g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 689 (72%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 76.6g||102 %|
|Saturated Fat 24.4g||122 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 36.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 13.3g|
|Cholesterol 2534.5mg||780 %|
|Sodium 797.5mg||28 %|
|Potassium 303.3mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4 %|
|Sugars, other 22.9g|
|Protein 42.3g||60 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 952
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!