I have been making this recipe for almost 25 years. It has won a few awards/ contests. A delicious corn bread goes very well next to it. You can play with the spice/ heat in it depending on your preferences, but this particular recipe seems to suit most everyone that has tried it.
1. In large saute pan, saute meats till just done and skim off fat.
2. Add, onion, celery, bellpepper and saute 10 more minutes.
3. Add all spices and garlic , saute 5 more minutes.
4. Add beans, tomatoes, puree, red wine and sugar last.
5. Continue cooking on med heat for 25 minutes, turn down cover with lid partially cracked open and let simmer 2 more hours on low heat. enjoy!!!
You may use ground turkey for a delicious alternative thats much healthier and still taste equally as good, most people can't even tell its not ground beef. also serve this with diced green onions and grated cheddar cheese on top.. ENJOY!!!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (631g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8|
|Calories from Fat: 595 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 66.1g||88 %|
|Saturated Fat 23.1g||116 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 25.3g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.2g|
|Cholesterol 170.1mg||52 %|
|Sodium 1188.7mg||41 %|
|Potassium 1980.4mg||52 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 52.3g||15 %|
|Dietary Fiber 13.9g||56 %|
|Sugars, other 38.3g|
|Protein 48.7g||70 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 989
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.