Carrot cakes, though popular in the United States since the 1960's, can be traced back to the carrot puddings of medieval Europe. this moiste dessert is based upon a redco=ipe created by Vilma Lo Presti. (You can find it in her magnificient chia cookbook, Pastrymaking and Baking with Chia.) It takes some care to prepare this delicious, moist cake, but it is so worth the effort! Omit the optional glaze and save yourself 180 calories per serving.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour a bundt pan.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the coconut oil, both sugars, and the whole egg together until creamy.
3. Add the egg whites, one by one, blending well after each addition.
4. Add carrot puree, blending thoroughly.
5. Mix in ricotta and orange rind, blending thoroughly.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
7. Add the flour mixture to the egg-carrot mixture, mixing only until blended.
8 Gently mix in nuts, raisins, and chia, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
9. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
10. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
11. If using the glaze, whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the cake while it is still warm.
From: chia: the Complete Guide to the Ultimate Superfood, by Wayne Coates
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (71g)|
|Recipe Makes: 16 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 101 (45%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11.2g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.7g||34 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.4g|
|Cholesterol 16.4mg||5 %|
|Sodium 89.3mg||3 %|
|Potassium 164.1mg||4 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24.9g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.9g||11 %|
|Sugars, other 22g|
|Protein 4.7g||7 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 222
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!