Crunchy cauliflower topped with bread crumbs makes this mac 'n cheese PRO. Substitute quinoa pasta and gluten free flour and bread crumbs to make this dish a gluten free hit.
1. Roasted Cauliflower: Toss the florets in a mixing bowl with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly onto a sheet tray. Roast until golden brown about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. Cook the pasta in salted water for one minute less than package directions.
3. While the pasta cooks, make Bechamel sauce: Heat the butter in a large saucepan (you'll be adding the pasta to this later and putting it in the oven) until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat until light golden brown, about 6-7 minutes. Add heated milk one cup at a time, whisking continuously until the sauce is smooth. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and season with salt and nutmeg.
4. Add the cooked pasta to the bechamel and stir to combine. Let it cook on low for one minute ensuring pasta is coated. Whisk in Fontina,Robiolina and parmegiano and stir to combine. Add shredded mushrooms. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
5. Scatter the cauliflower on top of the pasta, followed by the breadcrumbs. Top that with the reserved Fontina and Parmigiano. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or until the top is bubbly and golden brown. Top each serving with extra parmigiano and grated mushroom for extra pizzaz.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (204g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 166 (33%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 18.5g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 10.2g||51 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.4g|
|Cholesterol 45.2mg||14 %|
|Sodium 410.1mg||14 %|
|Potassium 546.7mg||14 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 67.6g||20 %|
|Dietary Fiber 9.9g||40 %|
|Sugars, other 57.7g|
|Protein 18.8g||27 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 499
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!
What would you serve with this? Link in another recipe.