Prepare the filling:
1. Soak the two types of mushrooms in hot water until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain. Remove stems and squeeze to extract the liquid. Mince mushrooms.
2. In a large bowl, combine mushrooms with the remaining filling ingredients . Mix with your hands to blend. Set aside.
Assemble the rolls:
1. Dissolve sugar in a bowl with 4 cups of warm water. One at a time, immerse a sheet in the warm water to soften the sheets for handling. Work with only 4 sheets of rice paper at a time. Quickly remove it and spread flat on a dry towel. Do not let the sheets touch each other.
2. Fold up the bottom third of each round. Put 1 generous teaspoon of filling in the center of the folded-over portion. Press into a compact rectangle. Fold one side of the paper over the mixture, then the other side. Roll from bottom to top to completely enclose the filling. Continue until all of the mixture is used.
Fry the rolls:
1. Pour 1 to 1 1/2 inches of oil into skillet and heat to 325F. Working in batches, add rolls to skillet, but do not crowd or let them touch, or they will stick together.
2. Fry over moderate heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning often, until golden and crisp. Remove the rolls with tongs and drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a low oven while frying the remaining rolls.
(To eat, each person wraps a roll in a lettuce leaf along with a few strands of noodles and a variety of other ingredients from the Vegetable Platter before dipping it in the Nuoc Cham.
If served as an hors d'ouvre, allow 4 or 5 rolls per person; serve 8 to 10 as a main course.
Note- Another popular way of serving this dish is to divide the noodles and elements of the Vegetable Platter evenly among the individual bowls. Top each with cut-up pieces of Cha Gio, ground roasted peanuts and Nuoc Cham. As a quick and easy appetizer, Cha Gio can be served with just Nuoc Cham.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 roll (28g)|
|Recipe Makes: 80|
|Calories from Fat: 17 (35%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 1.9g||3 %|
|Saturated Fat 0.6g||3 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.2g|
|Cholesterol 47.6mg||15 %|
|Sodium 31.7mg||1 %|
|Potassium 47.3mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 5g|
|Protein 2.8g||4 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 48
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.