1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast with warm water and sugar. Let rest for 10 minutes.
2. Add in honey, oil, salt, eggs and 4 cups of flour. Mix until smooth.
3. Gradually add more flour until you are comfortable kneading or touching the dough.
4. Knead dough on floured surface, addiing flour as needed for the dough not to stick to surface. This may require 1-2 cups more of flour. Dough should be soft. Knead for 10 minutes.
5. Oil a large bowl, put dough in bowl and cover with oil. Let rest for 1 1/2 hours. Dough should double in size.
6. Punch down dough and divide into 6 pieces for 2 loaves of 3 strand braid.
7. Roll out dough into 6 equal legnth strands. Braid three strands per bread, making 2 loaves.
8. Place braids on parchment paper or expat. If baking both loaves together, leave at least 6 inches of space between.
9. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
10. Let loaves rise for another 30 minutes.
11. Brush loaves generously with egg wash.
12. Bake loaves for 30-40 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
13. Cool on wire racks.
Cool weather temperatures may require more rise time.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 (187g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 95 (19%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 10.5g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.9g||9 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.5g|
|Cholesterol 116.3mg||36 %|
|Sodium 3472.9mg||120 %|
|Potassium 331.4mg||9 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 83g||24 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||13 %|
|Sugars, other 79.8g|
|Protein 16.5g||24 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 495
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.