Pressure cooking the dal
1. Pick and rinse the chana dal well in running water.
2. Soak the dal in enough water for an hour.
3. Drain the lentils and add them to the pressure cooker along with turmeric powder. Add 2.5 to 3 cups water and stir well.
4. On a high flame, pressure cook the lentils for 7 to 8 whistles or more, till the dal is softened and well cooked.
5. Keep the cooked chana dal aside.
Making chana dal
1. In another pan, heat oil or ghee.
2. Add the cumin first and fry for a few seconds till they splutter.
3. Then add the garlic and fry till they become light brown.
4. Now add the onions and fry till they get golden.
5. Now add the tomatoes, ginger and green chili.
6. Stir and add all the dry spice powders - turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida, dry mango powder and coriander powder.
7. Saute till the tomatoes get cooked and the oil starts to leave the side of the mixture.
8. Add the kasoori methi and stir.
9. Pour the cooked chana dal along with its stock to the sauteed masala mixture or vice versa. season with salt.
10. Stir and simmer the dal for 6-8 minutes till you get medium consistency of the dal. the dal is neither thick nor thin.
11. Garnish chana dal with chopped coriander leaves.
12. Serve the chana dal hot with some basmati rice or rotis or bread.
Consistency of chana dal can be easily adjusted:
1. If the dal becomes thick, then after adding the sauteed masala tempering mixture, add some water and simmer for some minutes.
2. If the dal become thin, simmer for a longer time so that you get the right consistency.
For cooking the chana dal in a pot or pan:
1. First soak the lentils for an hour.
2. Then take 4. cups of water along with the drained lentils in a pot.
3. Also add turmeric powder. cover and cook the lentils for 45 minutes to 1 hour, till they are softened. add more water if required.
4. if the mixure froths, then cook uncovered initially and then later cover and cook. A few drops of oil can also be added to reduce the frothing.
note: to make the chana dal gluten free, omit adding the asafoetida (hing).
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (338g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 250 (60%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 27.8g||37 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.6g||18 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.6g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 15.1g|
|Cholesterol 0mg||0 %|
|Sodium 891.1mg||31 %|
|Potassium 628.4mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 14.4g||58 %|
|Sugars, other 17.6g|
|Protein 12.2g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 418
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!