1. Make the buttermilk by adding two teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to 150ml of full fat milk and let it stand for 15 minutes. If you have the commercial buttermilk, that will save you some time.
2. When waiting for the buttermilk, chop the bacon and fry it in a pan until it's slightly golden brown. Turn off the heat and let it cool down, then chop it into small pieces.
3. Roughly cut the cheddar cheese into little cubes. It doesn't have to be in good shape as it will melt and stick to the scones when it bakes in the oven. Sift the self-raising flour into a large bowl. Add salt and sugar. Give it a quick stir to combine with the flour.
4. Roughly cut the butter into little cubes and quickly tuck it into the flour and rub the mixture until a crumbly consistency forms, it doesn't have to be well combined, you would rather let those tiny bits of butter stay in the flour. This will take less then a minute to combine and by this time the homemade buttermilk should be ready.
5. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour in 2/3 of the buttermilk and use a chopstick to mix everything until it turns into a mess. You don't want a smooth round dough but a sticky and messy mixture. If dough is too dry, add in more buttermilk.
6. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured working surface, add the fried bacon and cheddar cheese. Using both hand to bring everything together, pat the mixture into 2cm thickness. Cut the dough with 5.5cm floured cutter and press all the way down without twisting or turning the cutter.
7. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper then glaze the surface with some leftover buttermilk. For a more cheesy texture, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 220C (430F) for 15 minutes. Serve warm, and no jam or cream needed. Enjoy!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (30g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 56 (84%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 6.3g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.8g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.7g|
|Cholesterol 9.5mg||3 %|
|Sodium 1860.1mg||64 %|
|Potassium 43.5mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.1g||0 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 1g|
|Protein 1.7g||2 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 67
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.