1. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper into a large bowl. Add the cheese and mix through the flour mixture.
2. Beat the egg and milk together in a separate bowl and add the oil. The oil replaces the butter/margarine that usually gets used to rub into the flour. By using the oil you cut down on the dreaded calories and it saves a lot of time.
3. Pour the milk/egg/oil mixture into the flour mixture and using a metal spoon / fork, mix the dough until it clumps together, but is not too dry. If too dry, splash a bit more milk in to use up the flour.
4. Press the dough out on a flat clean floured surface until it is about 5mm thick, then fold it over ontop of itself (this gives the finished scones the natural "break" to cut open), flatten it again, using the palm of your hand. Do not use a rolling pin as it is too heavy and will prevent the scones from rising.
5. Cut out your scones out by using a round cutter (you decide on the size) or if you don't have a cutter handy use a drinking glass. Place them on a baking tray, pop them in the oven at 180 celsius for fifteen twenty minutes. Serve, still warm, with lashings of butter, cheese, jams and honey.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (363g)|
|Recipe Makes: 1 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 132 (10%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 14.6g||20 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.1g||11 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 8.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3.5g|
|Cholesterol 186.3mg||57 %|
|Sodium 794mg||27 %|
|Potassium 74.2mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 302.5g||89 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 302.4g|
|Protein 5.6g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 1320
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!