Strata is a great recipe for holiday guests. It is extremely easy to make and can be adjusted for any size and any taste. Use sausage instead of bacon, or omit the meat all together and make a veggie version. Also you can use any bread for this dish, leftover dinner rolls work great!
1. Mix milk, eggs, salt, pepper, dry mustard and set aside.
2. Heat a sauce pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and tablespoon of butter. When shimmering add the mushrooms and cook until liquor is released. This prevent your dish from being too wet. Allow to cool before adding to your dish.
3. Lightly coat a baking dish with oil or non-stick spray.
4. Place half of the bread in the dish.
5. Spread bacon, mushrooms, and a third of the cheese over bread.
6. Cover with remaining bread and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over top.
7. Pour liquid carefully over the dish.
8. Cover and place in the fridge for 12 hours or overnight.
9. In the morning heat oven to 350° F. Remove strada from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for thirty minutes while oven heats.
10. Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until center is firm and the top is golden brown. Allow to cool for five minutes before serving.
Try serving your strada with a roasted red pepper hollandaise. To do so, prepare a basic hollandaise sauce, and add a couple of tablespoons of diced roasted red pepper. Or if your people like it spicy, add some Ajvar, salsa, or Sriracha for a little kick.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (182g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 135 (65%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 15g||20 %|
|Saturated Fat 9.2g||46 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.2g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 46.7mg||14 %|
|Sodium 253mg||9 %|
|Potassium 207.1mg||5 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0 %|
|Sugars, other 5.9g|
|Protein 12.2g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 207
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!