1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the first five ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Stir in the cheese and green onions.
4. Combine the buttermilk, 3 T oil and egg in a second bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
5. Pour 1 T oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and swirl to evenly coat the bottom of the pan. Set the pan over medium heat.
6. When the pan is hot, spoon and spread the batter into the pan. Lift the skillet off the stovetop and set in the middle of the oven.
7. Bake 30 minutes or until the cornbread springs back when touched in the centre.
8. Set the skillet on a baking rack and cool 10 minutes. Now invert the cornbread onto a cutting board.
Serve the cornbread, warm or at room temperature; cut into wedges.
My modification to this recipe is one that both my wife and I have enjoyed for years; we substitute 1 cup of course cornmeal for the flour; ie. 1 cup fine and 1 cup course.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (253g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 102 (20%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 11.3g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 5.1g||26 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 1.6g|
|Cholesterol 139.4mg||43 %|
|Sodium 575.4mg||20 %|
|Potassium 446.9mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 86.1g||25 %|
|Dietary Fiber 5.7g||23 %|
|Sugars, other 80.4g|
|Protein 18.5g||26 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 512
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!