1. In a large stew or stock pot sauté in the butter or olive oil the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic with the salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning over medium heat until onions are translucent.
2. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken, sausage,.
3. Simmer on medium for about 15 – 20 minutes, usually the time it takes for the rice to cook. Observe how the aroma of the cooking draws in people around you.
4. Cook the rice according to package directions in the chicken broth. I like to use 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon of Bijol to give the rice a nice yellow appearance. I use a rice cooker. (If no Bijol, add a little paprika (smoked is best), and Cajun seasoning)
5. When the rice is cooked, turnoff the stew pot and fold the rice into the mixture in the stew pot until blended well and stir in the green onions. Then let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the goodness. Don’t skip this step!
6. Adjust seasoning to taste fold the mixture one more time and serve with a nice green salad and French bread, and a bottle of Crystal hot sauce on the table!
Feeds about 10 - 15 normal people or 8 hungry Cajuns!! Enjoy!!
Try to find the Bijol seasoning it turns the rice yellow and adds a little paprika flavor. Also I just started using a small 16oz bag of fajita thigh strips. This gives the dish a deeper flavor.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (785g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 51 (23%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 5.7g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 3.1g||16 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 0.6g|
|Cholesterol 12.1mg||4 %|
|Sodium 1798.7mg||62 %|
|Potassium 800mg||21 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 32.2g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||10 %|
|Sugars, other 29.7g|
|Protein 11.9g||17 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 224
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.