1. Place clams in a bowl of salted water sprinkled with 1 Tbsp of cornmeal in the fridge for several hours.
2. Steam clams and mussels in white wine until opened. Remove shellfish from liquid. Strain liquid through cheesecloth.
3. Heat the chicken stock with the saffron and whole onion. Cover and simmer 15 min. Remove the onion and measure the broth - you need 51/2 cups.
4. Dry the pieces of chicken well, sprinkle with salt.
5. In the metal paella pan, heat the oil. Add the chicken pieces and fry over high heat until golden. Remove to a warm platter.
6. Add the chorizo and pork chop to the pan and fry about 10 min. Add the chopped onion, scallions, garlic, and pimientosand saute until onion is wilted.
7. Add the shrimp and saute another 3 min, until shrimp barely turns pink. Remove the shrimp to the platter with the chicken.
8. Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat it well with the oil. Sprinkle in the 5 tablespoons of parsley and the crumbled bay leaves. (Make in advance up to this point).
9. Stir in the boiling hot broth, wine, lemon juice, and peas. Salt to taste. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat about 7 min or until rice is no longer soupy but some liquid remains. Bury the chicken and shrimp in the rice, then bake at 325, uncovered, for 10 min. Push the clams and mussels into the rice, open side up, and bake another 10 min.
10. Remove from oven and let sit on top of stove, lightly covered with foil, for about 10 min. Decorate with lemon wedges and parsley before serving.
Place paella pan over 2 burners and turn frequently to equalize the heat. Rice will need to be stirred when heat is uneven.
Never wait until the rice tastes "done" before removing it from the stove or oven. The rice must finish cooking away from the heat; otherwise, the rice grains will burst and turn mushy.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (314g)|
|Recipe Makes: 8 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 217 (49%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 24.1g||32 %|
|Saturated Fat 6.7g||34 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 10.9g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 4.3g|
|Cholesterol 196.2mg||60 %|
|Sodium 491.3mg||17 %|
|Potassium 739.5mg||19 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.5g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.9g||8 %|
|Sugars, other 8.6g|
|Protein 42.5g||61 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 439
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first!