1. Season meat with Tony’s or seasoning mixture (lightly).
2. In a large aluminum stock pot fill ½ full with water. Add seasoning to water mildly to moderately.
3. Using 2 tbs of oil fry chopped okra for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning. Add to water in stock pot.
4. Add roux until it is a thick consistency; but, not too thick. To make homemade roux use 2 c oil and 2 c flour mixed together, cook in black iron pot on medium low, stirring constantly until it comes to a chocolate caramel brown color.
5. Add seasoned chicken, Worcestershire sauce, chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic powder, green onions and filé (2tbs) to water.
6. Simmer 2 or 3 hours (hen) or until meat is tender (if using chicken simmer 1 ½ -2 hours).
7. Skim off excess fat (oil) and serve in large soup bowls with white rice. Aslo, serve as a side item, potato salad and bread.
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (130g)|
|Recipe Makes: 10|
|Calories from Fat: 267 (89%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 29.6g||40 %|
|Saturated Fat 2.9g||15 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 20g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 5.3g|
|Cholesterol 20.9mg||6 %|
|Sodium 58.4mg||2 %|
|Potassium 128.2mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 3.7g||1 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0.6g||3 %|
|Sugars, other 3.1g|
|Protein 5.8g||8 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 301
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.