Celery Seed Crust (you could substitute plain homemade crust or pre-made crusts, but this is the best!):
In a large bowl, combine 2 c. flour, 2 tsp. salt, and 2 tsp. celery seeds. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 2/3 c. + 2 T. shortening until pea-sized. Sprinkle in ice water one tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork after each tablespoon, until all is moistened and pastry almost cleans the bowl. Gather into a ball and refrigerate while making the filling.
1. Put the frozen vegetables and chopped onion in a microwave-proof bowl, add 1 T. water, and cover. Microwave 3-4 minutes. (This ensures the vegetables get cooked thoroughly since the baking time is pretty short.).
2. In a medium-sized microwave-proof bowl, melt butter (covered) for 30-40 sec. on high. Add flour, salt, and pepper and stir until combined. Re-cover the bowl and microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes, then stir.
3. Add chicken broth and milk, stirring to combine thoroughly. Cook uncovered 2 minutes on high; stir. Cook 2 min. on high; stir. Cook 2 more min. on high; stir. Sauce should be thickened by this point.
4. Add vegetables and chicken to the sauce and combine thoroughly.
Putting it all together:
1. Divide pastry dough in half and press each half into a thick disk. Roll out bottom crust and place in a 9 or 10 inch deep-dish pie pan.
2. Add the filling.
3. Roll out remaining dough for the top crust. Place on top of filling. Trim the edges to within 1 inch of outer edge; roll top crust out and under, tucking the bottom crust in; then flute the edges. Cut vents in the top to prevent overflowing.
Total bake time is 30-35 min. in a pre-heated 425 degree oven. To keep the outer crust from over-browning, cover the outer edges with foil for the first 15 minutes of baking; remove and bake the remaining15-20 minutes. This will serve better if you let it sit 15 minutes or so after baking to give the filling time to set up.
This recipe is from my early-married-days friend, Charlotte Dudney. Yes, it's a project to make - but it is so good!
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (637g)|
|Recipe Makes: 6 Servings|
|Calories from Fat: 287 (50%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 31.9g||43 %|
|Saturated Fat 14.3g||72 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 11.4g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 3g|
|Cholesterol 76.9mg||24 %|
|Sodium 3036.9mg||105 %|
|Potassium 422.8mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 46.7g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||7 %|
|Sugars, other 44.9g|
|Protein 24.7g||35 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 577
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.