1. In the case of the quartered chicken, cut short, shallow slashes on the flesh. This gives an interesting appearance to the finished dish, and a greater surface area for the marinade to adhere to.
2. Rub the flesh with the lemon juice and let stand for 15 minutes. This degreases and tenderises the meat, preparing it for the marinade.
3. Shake oft excess lemon juice (reserve any left, to use later in the sauce) and, using a deep bowl, thoroughly coat the chicken flesh with the tandoori marinade. Ensure the marinade reaches all parts generously. Leave to stand overnight, but preferably for 24 or even 30 hours a minimum of 6 hours. The longer you leave it the deeper the marinade penetrates (but for the instant method see below).
4. Cooking the Chicken
5. To cook in the tandoor or over a barbecue, place the pieces or quarters on skewers. Place the skewers over the coals. Cook for 15 minutes, turning once or twice. Test for when ready, then remove.
6. To grill, arrange the pieces on a grill rack and place the pan about 6 inches (15 cm) below the heat which should be at three quarters full. Cook as above.
7. To bake, place the pieces on an oven tray don't cram them together, or they won't cook evenly. Place in an oven preheated to 325F/160C/Gas 3, and cook for 15 20 minutes.
8. Stir Frying for tikka only has worked for me very satisfactorily when I forgot to do even a 6 hour marinating. (It also works better flavour after a 30 hour marinating.) Simply coat the tikkas in the marinade. Heat some oil in the karahi, and stir fry with about 4 tablespoons of excess marinade. Place the tikkas in the karahi and stir fry for 15 minutes.
9. For the sauce, heat the oil in a karahi, and simmer the gravy, paste, marinade and puree. After 2 3 minutes add the peppers, chilies and tomato, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes or so.
10. Add all the remaining ingredients, and mix. When simmering, add the chicken, and stir through. Serve when hot.
11. Recipe submitted by Pete Warren
View line-by-line Nutrition Insights™: Discover which ingredients contribute the calories/sodium/etc.
|Serving Size: 1 Serving (339g)|
|Recipe Makes: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 77 (26%)|
|Amt Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat 8.6g||11 %|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||8 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.1g|
|Polyunsanturated Fat 2.1g|
|Cholesterol 100.8mg||31 %|
|Sodium 125.9mg||4 %|
|Potassium 845.1mg||22 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.8g||4 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||17 %|
|Sugars, other 10.6g|
|Protein 42g||60 %|
Powered by: USDA Nutrition Database
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Calories per serving: 291
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.